Codrone cannot hover

• Hi,

I found my drone keeps bouncing along the ground and drifting in one direction when I use the "takeoff" command in the official mobile app ("Petrone"). I had tried to trim the drone but it still cannot fly upwards, except I keep pressing the "throttle" in the mobile controller (but it cannot hover).

I had also tried to calibrate the drone. Yet, it just hopped once and drifted again. Its LED blinked yellowish green at last.

The following videos show how the calibration goes:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16k_T26cYZuUcO_PPJx71CEiEkd3XgxZP?usp=sharing

How could I solve the issue?

p.s. I had checked the motor and propellers and tested with full battery.

• administrators

Hi @kat,
    Are you flying in a dark room or over a surface that is very reflective? Your CoDrone will drift and have trouble taking off because the optical flow sensors on the bottom will not work well. Another quick fix I would try is switching two motors on opposite sides in the direction where the CoDrone is drifting. For example, if the CoDrone is drifting to the right, swap out a motor on the left with one on the right. Make sure you double check propeller orientation as well! If you continue to experience problems let me know and we can set up a call 🙂

• Thank you for the prompt reply. I had tried to fly again on a floor covered with cotton cloth after switching the motors, but I still encountered the same problem as before. 😞 Sure, I would be happy to set up a call if time allows (I am from Hong Kong).

• administrators

@kat,
    One more thing I would try is double checking the battery is fully charged and that your propellers are free of any hair or obstructions. If you have crashed the drone many times before sometimes the motor connections weaken. You can set up a time here and we can come up with a solution!

• Hi @robolink_leila,
    Thank you for the call on Tuesday. Since I am not allowed to buy the updated version of CoDrone, may I have the old firmware that capable with the old flow sensor?

• administrators

@kat,
    There are a few more things you can try.

• Update the firmware on the BLE board
    • Use the Petrone app (on iOS or Android) to update CoDrone firmware
    • Try uploading Remote Control code
      Let me know if you have any questions!

• Hi @robolink_leila,
    I had tried, but it is still not working 😞
    The following code is executed. Although the drone gradually went to a higher level, it was still hopping against the floor and cannot hover.

from CoDrone.codrone import *

if __name__ == '__main__':

drone = CoDrone()
    	drone.pair(drone.Nearest, "/dev/ttyUSB0")  
        # Fly 1500mm away from bottom and hover
    	drone.takeoff()
    	drone.go_to_height(2000)
    	drone.land()

• administrators

I think this code will not work anymore with your drone version 😞 The go_to_height() function uses a sensor on the more recent versions of CoDrone.

Looks like your connection to Robolink community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.